[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching Tests

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil Mon Jan 27 22:15:49 1997
> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:09:00 -0500 (EST)
> From: Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Optimal Quenching Tests
>
> Bert, All,
> I have the kilobuck version of pspice (6.3).  I have spent
> about one month (professionally) trying to come up with a spark
> gap model.  I used the Tesla coil to test my attempted models.
> I could find nothing that would mime the variable L, C, R, and
> voltage holdoff characteristics of a real spark gap.  The closest
> model was the one that I got from Jim Fossie (sp?).  It was good for
> the holdoff and breakover simulation but could not be made to
> "recover" like an air gap.  In the Tesla coil simulation the
> spark gap would close and then stay closed!!!!#-at-$%^^&-at--at-.
> The other problem is that the voltage controlled switch
> is not in the free version.  I can send my circuit to anyone
> who wants it but I cannot send the voltage controlled switch
> library.  I am just a pspice beginner.
> Barry
>
>  ----------
> From: "tesla"-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
> To: Benson Barry; "Tesla-list-subscribers"-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com-at-PMDF-at-PAXMB1
> Subject: Re: Optimal Quenching Tests
> Date: Friday, January 24, 1997 1:35AM
>
> <<File Attachment: 00000000.TXT>>
>
> Is there anyone else on the list with significant PSPICE experience??
>
> PSPICE solves network equations for node voltages, and can handle linear
> and non-linear devices and circuits. If you can generate a circuit model
> for the device (like a spark-gap) out of passsive and controlled-source
> devices, then PSPICE should be able to solve for the circuit behavior.
> DC, AC, and transient anaysis are all supported.
>
>  -- Bert --
>
> <SNIP>

Barry,

Curses! Foiled again!! :^)

In your simulation, did you notice the predicted linear decrement when
the gap was firing? From a practical standpoint, I'm very interested in
seeing if there are any _significant_ performance or operational
differences between using a more exact model and a simple
resistor/switch model for a two-coil system. Thanks in advance, Barry!

-- Bert --