[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Testing Neon Transformer

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Testing Neon Transformer
> Date: Tuesday, January 28, 1997 12:25 AM
>
> Subscriber: xtal-at-airmail-dot-net Mon Jan 27 21:58:34 1997
> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:01:01 GMT
> From: David Christal <xtal-at-airmail-dot-net>
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Testing Neon Transformer
>
> Hi Folks,
> I'm new to this list so please forgive me for not being able to search
> past threads.
> I have a 9,000V 25ma neon transformer that I believe works.  Any
> recommended testing methods?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> David Christal 3341 Cloverdale Lane, Dallas, TX  75234
> 214 349-6972 (214 FIX MY PC) (Pool Cues and Personal Computers)

David,
If by testing you mean, see if it works, here is the simplest way I know.
It is what the people at the sign shop do to test the transformers before
giving them to me. They attach a good sturdy insulated wire to the case of
the ttransformer, plug it in, and draw arcs off off the HV terminals. First
time I saw it I almost choked, but the sign guy said the transformers are
designed to take such abuse because of the magnetic shunts used in their
construction.

Fr. Tom McGahee