[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Strange Coil Pictures

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> I looked and also sent the request to Jerry, I believe that it might be
> corona comming off a double helix made of wire or a strip of metal. I do not
> believe that a coil could produce a double helix spark under any condition
> or with the use of anything but a conductive double helix placed on the top
> of the coil.
>
> I agree it looks like a fake.

	I agree.  I have only a little experience in shooting Tesla Coils,
but the first thing that stands out about this shot is that the exposure
is about a minute.  I have several shots of my 6 incher, from when I first
set it up, with salt water caps, and the sparks (at the time, about 10")
nearly saturated the film at 1-1.5 secs of exposure time.
	I don't have a convenient pyramid to discharge from, so I can't
comment on the feasibility of producing discharges such as these, but I'd
be inclined to agree with Kevin.  It does appear to be corona ciming from
a pair of conductors.

Stan Harle
Alamogordo, NM