[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Simpleminded Rotary Questions

>Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 20:30:47 -0500 (EST)
>From: cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net
>To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Simpleminded Rotary Questions
>

>1. Would phenolic or G-10 type material be better than Lexan, and if so,
>where do you get it and how would you go about cutting a perfect circle.
>Are there suppliers that do this?  I am pretty sure that the industrial
>plastics place I normally get my plexiglass from can make me a nice Lexan
>disk.
Charles,
	go with phenolic or G-10 instead of "clear" plastics.
Whichever you use STAY AYAY from Acrylic. It shatters, if you look
cross-eyed at it while working it.

>2. How do you mount the disk on your motor?  I looked at my little cirular
>to see how it was done, but it has a threaded shaft on the motor.  Ok, so I
>guess I need some sort of clamp on arbor with a mounting diameter that
>matches whichever motor I choose (obviously).  Where do you get them, and
>what should I ask for in particular?  Any nomenclature that I'd need to
>describe this would be very helpful!

Go to a well stocked hardware store and ask for an arbor;) 1/2" 5/8"
and occasionally 3/4" are common sizes in the states.

>3. I would like to mount the whole thing on a very heavy base for
>stability.  I was thinking of getting a big piece of aluminum from the
>scrap yard for this, and would use HV standoffs to keep everything clear.
>So here's a really basic question: how do you go about making threaded
>holes in something like this (tapping)?  What's the tool called??
Threaded holes tool -> tap. Threaded cylinder tool -> die. Ala "tap
and die".

	Regards,

	jim