[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Very COOL AVI

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Tue Jan 21 22:41:10 1997
> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 00:33:46 -0600
> From: Kevin Nardelle <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Very COOL AVI

> >Kevin,
> >
> >You're approaching the point where the power level and efficiency of
> >your coil will cause permanent damage to the computer in your room. The

	This happened to my computer--I had unplugged it, but
unfortunately, the phone line was still plugged in.  The phone line
goes into a modem board in the back of the computer (ISA slot) and
right below it was the VIP board for the VFX-1 VR headset.  After
discharging the coil in the next room, about 15' away, I noticed
transient and intermittent problems with the video display (i.e., fading
out from full color to white, strange lines, etc.).  What happened,
I suppose, is that enough voltage was induced in the phone line to
arc over to the other circuit board.  The distance inside between
the two boards was about 1/4".  The phone line ran through the room
with the coil, but it was several feet away, on the floor, and the
coil only used a 120mA, 7200V neon sign xformer.  But I guess this was
enough.

ps. about the strange pyramid picture with the helix, I agree with
the other postings, it does look like a gentle discharge from two
conductors, maybe copper or brass strap.  Perhaps such a discharge
could be shaped with a 3D magnetic field generated by say, four
stacks of electromagnets?  Maybe some of you folks out there with
lab equipment could try it out?