[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wet Coiling

Hi All!

We just had a very wet, unseasonably warm day, which followed some much
colder weather. The enclosed porch my coil is housed in in felt very
damp, and the windows were steamed. I tried to fire up the coil, in
preparation for a visitor I had coming over. However, I failed to notice
that virtually everything on the coil, caps, neons, and gaps was covered
with a light coating of dew!

Fortunately, the gap never even fired, since the static gap was
virtually shorted out - miriads of little coronal discharges played
between the water droplets inside and outside the PVC pipe gaps housing!
Lucky thing, since the secondary was also coated with water!  After
putting a dehumidifier in the room, wiping down the secondary, and
baking the PVC static gap, I was able to get the beast somewhat
operational in time for my visiting friend. Just another little wrinkle
to watch out for when coiling in a less-than-ideal environment!

Anyway, Safe (and non-underwater) coilin' to ya!

-- Bert --