[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TESLAC spit this out

At 02:25 PM 1/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: randyl-at-ronan-dot-net Sun Jan 26 13:32:44 1997
>Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 00:55:22 -0600
>From: Nathan Lamphere <randyl-at-ronan-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: TESLAC spit this out
>
>Hello all
>

>1)  For the capacitor if I use two 14" X 14" (overlap measurement) flat
>plates seperated by a sheet of mica (I have not seen how difficult this
>is going to be to get yet), I can get a rating of 56KV with a .04 in.
>thickness.  Does this seem right?

This cap might break down... Where are you getting a 40 mil thick 16X16
sheet of capacitor grade mica?!!!!!  Mica's breakdown in thick sheet is very
low and not the 1-2Kv/mil stated in the dreamland spec sheets.  At 40 mils,
you'll be doing good to get 200 volts/ mil AC RF. ..... R. Hull

>2)  For the secondary I (and yes, randomly chose) chose a height of 20
>inches, 6 inch diameter coil wound with 20 gauge wire.  I plan on doing
>this on pvc-type pipe. This is what I was given for calculations:
>
>The number of turns is: 588.2353 closewound with .034 inch dia. wire
>Secondary winding length is 20 inches
>Secondary winding diameter is 6 inches
>Rsonant freq. is approx. 423.5564 KHZ.
>The required wire length is 923.5294 feet
>The aspect ratio (H/D) is 3.333333
>Reactance is 36491.33 ohms at 423.5564 KHZ.
>The maximun unloaded Q is 146.6225 at 423.5564 KHZ.
>The secondary inductance is approx. 13.71888 MILLIHENRY
>The estimated loaded Q will be approx. 65.16554
>The terminal capapticance should be large enough to
>cause the resonant freq. to drop to approx. 296.4895 KHZ.

This seems OK.  R. Hull

>3)  For the static gap, TESLAC asked for how many volts my transformer
>is rated for and here is the response it gave:
>
>WHAT IS YOUR TRANSFORMER R.M.S. SECONDARY VOLTAGE
>? 9000
>THIS SERIES GAP SYSTEM SHOULD BE BUILT WITH  8.0 GAPS
>EACH GAP SHOULD BE SET AT APPROX. .025 INCH
>
>AND COOLED BY AN AIR BLAST AT POWER LEVELS ABOVE 1 KILOWATT
>
>What does it mean to have 8.0 gaps?  How does a person go about making a
>gap or if I need 8 of them, how do I make that?

Just lay 9 pieces of 1" diameter copper pipe sections 2" long, side by side
and separate all of them by some small amount.  The two end pieces are the
connection points. You now have an eight gap system.  R. Hull

>4)This takes me to the primary coil.  I decided to figure it out using
>3/8" copper tubing, with spacing 3/8" turn spacing and 2 inches between
>the secondary and the primary.
>
>Here is the response for it:
>
>YOU NEED  45.7 U.H. TO RESONATE AT 296.4895
>KHZ.
>THE INDUCTANCE AT TURN NUMBER 3 IS APPROX.   4.7
>U.H.
>THE INDUCTANCE AT TURN NUMBER 4 IS APPROX.   8.0
>U.H.
>THE INDUCTANCE AT TURN NUMBER 5 IS APPROX.  12.3
>U.H.
>THE INDUCTANCE AT TURN NUMBER 6 IS APPROX.  17.6
>U.H.
>THE INDUCTANCE AT TURN NUMBER 7 IS APPROX.  24.0
>U.H.
>THE INDUCTANCE AT TURN NUMBER 8 IS APPROX.  31.4
>U.H.
>THE INDUCTANCE AT TURN NUMBER 9 IS APPROX.  40.0
>U.H.
>THE INDUCTANCE AT TURN NUMBER 10 IS APPROX.  49.9
>U.H.
>THE PRIMARY INSIDE DIAMETER WILL BE 10
>INCHES
>THE PRIMARY OUTSIDE DIAMETER WILL BE 24.25
>INCHES
>IT WILL HAVE 10 TURNS OF .375 INCH
>CONDUCTOR
>THE TURN TO TURN SPACING WILL BE .375
>INCH.
>
>Ok, I realilze that there was alot to this post, but if any of you have
>the time, could you please go over it and tell me where the design is
>wrong or suggestions on what to do to make this thing work, I sure would
>appreciate it!
>

>--
>Nathan Lamphere
>http://www.ronan-dot-net/~randyl/nfolder/nathan.html
>Javascripts: WebPageMaker - easily create your own webpage right online!

Nathan,

 All seems OK except your capacitor.  This is where we all tend to be weak
especially in our early attempts.  Try and secure a factory made item if
possible or build your own out of polyethylene and foil. (many layers of
smaller plates and foil).

Richard Hull, TCBOR