[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Top Toroid

Dear all,

I am in the process of building my secondary coil, and I'm at the point
where I need to make a toroid for the top. Although I remember seeing
something about this on the list some time ago, would somebody please tell
me how I should determine the proper dimensions for my toroid, and would
the experienced coilers please share some of their clever ideas of how they
made their toroids?
As an aside, would somebody please remind me why a toroid is more ideal
than a sphere and such? (Was it that the self-capacitance is larger or is
there a better voltage gradient or something?)

I understand that in general, the larger the toroid, the more energy is
needed to build up in the secondary before corona discharge happens. So am
I shooting for the largest possible toroid where I still get a discharge?

Also, what effect does mounting the toroid closer or further away from the
secondary have? (I've not seen anything definitive on this yet).

Thanks for any and all help. Maybe Fr. Tom MacGahee can include this info
in his Idiot's Guide once everyone submits their ideas. :-)

Jeff Detweiler