[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rolled cap

>  Does anyone have any good files on easy-to-build rolled capacitors?  I
>  don't have too much time and that is why I stress the easy-to-build
>  part.  I have one text file that explains the building of one, but
>  includes installing two valves used for vaccuuming out the air and gets
>  pretty complicated.  Further more I don't have sucha vaccuum!
>  Suggestions or comments welcome.....
>
>  Matt Curtis
>  curtisma-at-umich.edu
>
>  [ See the ftp site files.  ftp.funet.fi in /pub/sci/electrical/tesla.
>    -- Chip]

Matt,

As Chip suggested, see the ftp files on cap build instructions.  I have built
three and have not used a vacuum pump.  Just let them sit for a couple of
weeks after building them to allow most of the air to raise up out between
the plates.  Then go easy on them for a while under power.  I would like to
suggest that you use three layers of .030 poly for a minimum thickness of
.090 if you plan to use 10 kv or higher voltage.  Also place an extra piece
of poly cut about 3 or 4 inches wide under the end of the top plate as you
start to roll it up to keep it from digging in to the poly.  Or bend this
edge up a little to accomplish the same thing.

Ed Sonderman