[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching Tests

"2)  Did the old spark transmitter engineers really say that 1st notch quench
eliminated splitting, or did they say it eliminated beating?  Maybe they just
looked at their secondary waveform and said, " look, a  nice clean
ringdown....no beats....just what we want!"    Also, in Richard Hull's
comments on the subject, was he refering to splitting, or to beating?   Are
we differing on our definitions of terms?
"
	They were talking about eliminating "double waves", which really
meant the beating you are referring to.  Over-coupled circuits all have
two resonant frequenciew, which move apart as the coupling increases.
When the coupling equals one one resonance is at zero frequency and one
at infinity.  By quenching at the first "notch", only a single wave
was radiated.
	All this shows up very simply in SPICE simulations.  Perhaps
someone will post some pictures showing the effect.  Have used
Electronic Work Bench, a SPICE-based design tool, to run a bunch of
experiments which produce results exactly equivalent to what simple
transient analysis shows.  Unfortunately, don't have any way to
export those pictures in a usable form.
Ed Phillips