[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: torque conv./ inner tubes

>Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 11:25:29 -0700
>To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

>Subscriber: kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com Sat Jan 11 11:04:08 1997
>Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 18:28:03 -0600
>From: kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: torque conv./ inner tubes

  [ snip ]

>There are industrial foams that will expand and harden in a closed space.  I
>used to work at a hot-tub manufacturing company.  We used isocynate foam to
>coat the underneath of the tubs to insulate them.  It was a two-part mixture
>that was blended as it was sprayed.  It expanded and hardened in seconds.
>Too fast for this purpose, but there might be other two-part foams available
>that have a slower reaction rate. Might try some industrial chemical
>suppliers.  Watch what you're getting though.  The foam we used was highly
>poisonous and we had to wear a breathing apparatus just to be in the same
>room.
>
>Kerry "Kilroy" Ludwig  >Kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com

   But all this talk of foam expanding the inner tube is still not
   going to solve the problem of how to plate the tube underneath the
   CuSO4 solution, since the force of buoyancy is going to be
   considerable, and trying to hold the foam-filled tube down is going
   to distort the shape of the tube if the hold-down points are small,
   or else if the hold-down area is large the plating will be severly
   disturbed in that area because the hold-down area will not be
   exposed to the plating solution.

   I think for plating the tube must be made neutral-buoyant.

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        | Internet: music-at-triumf.ca
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.