[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching Tests

>Subscriber: harris-at-parkave-dot-net Sat Jan 11 11:04:47 1997
>Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 08:30:49 -0400
>From: Ed Harris <harris-at-parkave-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Optimal Quenching Tests
[snip]
>Sounds like an interesting problem to think about. I don't quite understand
>what you guys mean by "notch" though. Could you decribe what's going
>on in terms of gap conducting/on-conducting states?
>
>My initial impression - which I don't hold to strongly without a better
>understanding of your situation - is that  "1 notch" in the primary is
>essentially acting like an impulse (read delta function). The spectral
>content of an impulse is a very wide continuous range of frequencies.
>To see splitting, on the other hand, you need to have 2 or more systems
>which have characteristic oscillation frequencies. If you interrrupt the
>primary "oscillation" after less than one cycle, then it really doesn't
>have a true oscillation frequency. This can be seen by taking the
>spectrum (or fourier transform) of say 1/2 of a single sine wave cycle.

Ed,
	In my scope observations, I don't see a Dirac delta function
waveform (unity energy per frequency with infinite bandwidth), but I
do see a simple beating between 2 close frequencies: say 8 to 10
cycles of the "carrier frequency" between the (AM) modulation
frequency notches;)  Just think of an AM carrier with 8 to 10 cycles
of the carrier frequency for each modulation cycle.

This is my interpenetration of John's post.

	Regards,

	jim