[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Just a FEW questions from a newbie

At 11:25 AM 1/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: pdalinis-at-xnet-dot-com Sat Jan 11 10:48:22 1997
>Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:20:47 -0600
>From: Peter Dalinis <pdalinis-at-xnet-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Just a FEW questions from a newbie
>
>Tesla List wrote:
>

>> >For my first coil, I am looking for a design that gives off 1 foot
>> >sparks.  If I get more, that
>> >is fine too :) What secondary size am I looking at?  2feet long by
>> >3inches dia?
>
>> For 1 foot sparks, You could use a 15KV, 30 or 60 ma Neon transformer.
>> These are cheap and readily available. Just call or go to any local sign
>> shop that deals in Neon signage and ask them what they do with their old,
>> out-of-warranty neon sign transformers. Some places just throw them out
>> because they can't sell them without providing a warranty of some kind..;)
>> However, most places that I have called usually keep the old ones in a box
>> in the back room and save them for teachers, instructors, COILERS, anybody
>> who wants them. They usually let them go for a small fee ($10-$25).
>> On the size: The best height-to-diameter (h-d) ratio for coils under 8" in
>> diameter is around 4:1. So, if you're making a 3" dia coil, it would be
>> best to use a height of 12".
>
>I have heard lots of differnt stuff on this... everything from use 26awg
>-at-
>18inches... to useing 22awg -at- 12"....  Am I just going to waste wire
>by having it too long?  Or bring the 1/4wave frequency down too much?

Well, basically, they way I figure it, Use a wire gauge that gives you
700-900 turns over the length of the entire secondary.

>> >Capacitors.  Will doornob caps work a-ok?  Perhaps a few in series and
>> >parrallel?
>> >Where can I go about getting some?  (no worthwhile hamfests in winter in
>> >chicago)
>>
>> There is a great surplus company called "All electronics". They
>> occasionally get some high-voltage products in for pretty good prices.
>> Example: in their summer '96 catalog (the last one i got...they're not very
>> good at sending out the latest ones...;) they have HV Mica caps from 600V
>> to 2,000V in 3 different styles in values from .0003 to .02 MFD for 25
>> cents each! Their # is 1-800-826-5432.
>
>I called them for a catalog.  I assume that these caps will work?
>about what am I looking at for a target cap value for this curcuit?
>5mf, .5mf, .05mf, etc..?

There is a great program called Teslac. It's not a no-brainer, but it seems
like you know the basic fundamentals of tesla coils and I think you'll be
able to use it. It will calculate an entire [disruptive] system for you,
given the specs on your secondary, input Xformer, etc. It's available via
the finland FTP site ( I don't have the address off hand), but I'll send it
to you along with the spark gap info.

>> >Spark Gaps.  I found some docs for a rotary one, and a stationary one.
>> >The stationary
>> >one looks easier for me to build is it ideal (airblast.txt)?  Will an
>>
>> I have that very same text file. It came with a .GIF that illustrated how
>> it was built. That may work fine for you, however it is very noisy and the
>> electrodes don't last long. Unfortunately, neither an aquarium pump or a
>> airbrush compressor provide enough airflow to effectively "quench" the
>> spark. The result is the gap electrode life is dramatically shortened. The
>> best design I've seen for a stationary spark gap is one designed by Richard
>> Quick. It's affectionately referred to as the Richard Quick spark gap (go
>> fig). I can send you construction details if you're interested.
>
>Please do send this to me... I appreciate it..

Not a prob.