[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)

Bert Hickman wrote:

> Greg,
>
> Thanks! I'll assume good pulse-rated caps and good, high-Q, construction
> techniques are a given. After looking at Robert Stephen's video, and
> reviewing the data from Chuck Curren on the Cox'es coil, I'm beginning
> to think that rotary quenching performance may not be nearly as critical
> as I once thought. Bang size and rep rate have got to be key parameters.
> In the final analysis, brute force power can overcome _lots_ of other
> system inefficiencies! :^)
> Another big factor would have to be sizing the ROC of the top terminal
> and E-field control so that it does not break out prematurely, and that
> streamers don't preferentially strike downward to the primary.

I've always wondered about this:  doesn't the presence of a streamer on
the top electrode completely compromise the break-out voltage by acting
as a wire, or a pointy conductive stick?  After all, doesn't the next
output pulse usually build upon the end of an existing streamer?

> Certainly
> the length of the secondary is also a significant factor - it must be
> long enough to provide adequate physical seperation between the toroid
> and the primary as well as to itself on a 2-coil system. Larger
> diameter, squatter coils might otherwise be better performers with their
> higher L versus C ratio.

What do you see as the optimum value for Zo (Zo = sqrt[L/C])?  I used to
think that something around 20,000 ohms was optimum, but now I'm starting
to think that values closer to 35,000 ohms might be better.