[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: lod-at-pacbell-dot-net Sat Jan  4 21:53:00 1997
> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 21:31:10 -0800
> From: lod-at-pacbell-dot-net
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > > Isn't Ohm's law at work here as well?  I am convinced that if you replace
> > > the 100 ft wire with a (non-conductive) 100 ft string, that the apparatus
> > > will not work.
> > >
> > > -GL
> >
> > You are correct!  But, this is only due to the nature and place of metal
> > in the "electrostatic series" of materials!  It is dead center.  It is
> > totally neutral.  It is conductive of electrostatic charge and I'm not
> > talking about the dynamic currents of ohms law.  Electrostatic charge can
> > travel along the surface of a conductor/dielctric interface without
> > ever entering it!!!!  I have done the experiment!
> [snip]
>
> Can you describe this experiment in greater detail?  I am still convinced
> that stationary charge is the same quantity as moving charge.
>
> -GL

The experiment involved a large tank in a scrap yard which was on teflon
mounts.  I used my keithley plugged inot a saw outlet and did the wiggle
wand experiment with the electrometer recording the same variation and
charge over the entire surface of the piece.  Equipotential surface.  A
variation of charge anywhere regestered as a change of potential or its
aanalog, charge ovr the entire surface.

This is the same for the wand-ball-wire-ball-detector experiment.  All
electric field lines are normal to all the surfaces of a  conductor with
a static charge about it.  Again, all that is demanded is that the
stucture be conducting, and continuous.  This potential wave can travel
from charged dielectric in motion (wand) through the air dielectric to
the conducting equipotential system and then back out to the air
dielectric to a mechanical electroscope detector at the far end.  It can
be detected along the wire too.  This can't be done in a current
carrying, non-electrostatic, conducting system.

Richard Hull, TCBOR