[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: X-mas Experiments

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: X-mas Experiments
>
> Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Fri Jan  3 21:54:18 1997
> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 11:54:50 -0800
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: X-mas Experiments
>
> Richard,
>
> Thanks for the update!! A whole bunch of us were extremely interested in
> the experiments and results. The thyratron gap certainly has GREAT
> potential for precise comparative measurements. My comments are
> interspersed below...
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Subscriber: hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com Tue Dec 31 22:31:57 1996
> > Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 11:10:12 -0800
> > From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Cc: caydsi-at-aol-dot-com
> > Subject: X-mas Experiments
> >

> Welcome back, safe coilin', and Happy New Year to you!
>
> -- Bert --

Bert,

I sniped all of the above text as it was not needed here.  I would note
that your comments on the experiments are appreciated and I will
definitely work on the elimenation of the SCR and pulse transformer in my
H2 trigger circuit and use a vacuum tube inorder to control the on time
of the H2 thyratron.

I still doubt that the Thyratron can equal the air gaps even at the
proper dwell time, but will reserve my judgement til then.  Tesla
actually in July of 1899 in the CSN recorded a scheme which might be
worth trying.  It failed for him due to poor quenching of his gaps.  He
opted for a large cap like a .5ufd in series with the gap and primary
(non-resonant, energy storage) and then the smaller resonant capacitor
across the primary coil.  This might allow the 1-2usec firing of the
thyratron to allow the big cap to throw one hell of a mag field out of
the primary on the first impulse (current based di/dt) as the large cap
dumps its guts into the primary.  Now the thyratron shuts off and the big
cap is out of circuit and the huge mag filed collapses into the primary
and secondary.  The small paralleled resonant cap can now ring out the
rest of the larger energy pulse.  Very nice thought!!  We will see if it
works out, or falls on its face.

Richard Hull, TCBOR