[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MicroWave oven Transformer

At 09:25 PM 1/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: pylon-at-nwlink-dot-com Sun Jan  5 20:46:33 1997
>Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 19:45:16 -0800 (PST)
>From: James <pylon-at-nwlink-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: MicroWave oven Transformer
>
>I just recently disassembled an old microwave (circa 1983?) and I got an
>old 15+ lb transformer out of it that is used to drive the magnetron. It
>has two secondaries, one for the magnetron filament, the other for the
>magnetron drive. I don't know what the exact outputs are, but I also took
>out a 1 MFD, 2000V oil-filled cap (Yes, i discharged it before i touched
>it...;) that the Drive section of the secondary was connected in series
>with. The wire in the secondary is fairly heavy (~16 ga on the filament
>winding, ~22ga on the drive winding) My question is: Since this is a fairly
>low-voltage transformer (i guess about 1000-1500V), but the current rating
>must be fairly high, because of the size of the wire in the secondary,
>would it be suitable for a tesla coil? It doesn't have any current limiting
>shunts on it, so would I have to put something on it to limit the current?
>Also, would the cap I retrieved from the oven be suitable for
>pulse-discharge experiments? If the x-former isn't suitable for tesla work,
>could I use it for a pulse-discharge supply?
>
>Thanks,
>
>James...

James,

COOL!! I got one to the same way, same capacitor also. My cap won't work
with the coil but the transformer will work as a welder:) I found out as I
turned it on and put my screwdriver across the output, it melted it:0 Yeow!
I jumped a mile high when that bright white flaming arc jumped the gap, it
did so with a low frequency hummmm. Watch that thing, it will bite you and
most likely not let go.

I was going to ask the same question about mine. THanks.

   * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
My main web page soon to be all TESLA
related with lotsa pictures and links.
http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell

Non related sites I have
The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev
Get me on CuSeeMe for live video and chat!
Shop talk, Show and tell, Ect...
The Continuum Reflector-High speed and Color
204.107.221.9 Conf. ID 2601