[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quick rotary question

>Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 22:31:03 -0700 (MST)
>From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: Quick rotary question
>
>Does anyone know/remember off the top of thier head what causes the arc to
>follow the disk on a rotary gap?  I notice that it is stretching about 1"
>from the stationary electrodes.  Really what I'm asking is how to stop it.
>Should I add (more) static gaps?

Chip,
	Poor ballasting will do it, probably a low vaporizing
temperature metal for the gap would also cause it.

When I was doing ballasting experiments with a resistive ballast
connected to my pig's primary and the pig's secondary connected to my
cap and rotary gap only; I could "power" arc completely around my
rotary gap.  The gap became VERY quite, just gentle hissing.  As soon
as I introduced some inductance into my pig's primary circuit, the gap
started quenching in a very short distance.

	jim