[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Source for Pole Pigs and metal spheres.

- snip -
<<
 This fellow at the shop says they have alot of old NON-PCB transformers in
 the scrap pile, can I rewind or repair these? Another thing I found was
 MONSTER capacitors, I don't know what they were rated at but they are made
 to deal with those big pigs, would these be also something to try and get or
 look into? I tried to read a value but there was nothing on the caps that
 said anything about voltage or capacitance.

 I hope I inspire some folks to visit their local power company and
 transformer shop as this can be rewarding, it sure made my week.

 I think the oil in the out of service units might be good for poly caps,
agree?

                                        Regards,
                                             Kevin Nardelle

Kevin,

I agree.  I found my 5kva pole pig at my local utility company, tested and
oil checked for only $100.00.  Find the person responsible for Investment
Recovery - fancy name for the guy that sells all the scrap and obsolete
equipment.

I wouldn't put any used oil (probably contaminated with metal, or water) into
a home made rolled poly cap.  There seems to be enough other reasons for
these caps to fail without introducing some that could be avoided.

Ed Sonderman