[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Get it over with

I have several questions that I have been meaning to ask.  I thought that I
might as well get them all over with at once, so here goes.

1.  I have noticed references to some coil forms creating more losses due to
the proximity to the wire.  How much of a loss could one expect using 1/2"
wall pvc vs. thin-wall pvc?  Thin-wall pvc vs. air-wound on skeleton frame?
ETC......

2.  Can spark-gaps be used to protect a cap. in the same way that they are
used to protect a transformer?  Maybe use small spheres rather than points?

3.  I would like to use my 12kv/63ma neon trans. and build a filtered d.c.
supply to run my coil off of.  Can anyone tell me how to figure the inductor
(in series with trans) and cap (in parallel with trans) values for this
circuit?  (I hope to someday also build a larger scale coil of similar
design, so the actual formula's would be useful.)

4.  Where can I find variacs in the 5-10kw range?  What kind of prices shoud
I expect?

5.  Is information about Golka's experiments with his "HUGE" coil available
anywhere?  I am interested in any specs of the coil and results that he
attained.  I would also like to find video of his coil in action, if anybody
knows of any.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Kerry "Kilroy" Ludwig
Kilroy-at-BSCN.COM