[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Guide to Primaries rev 1.01

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Guide to Primaries rev 1.01
> Date: Friday, January 31, 1997 1:05 AM
>
> > Subject: Guide to Primaries rev 1.01
>
> Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Thu Jan 30 23:04:55 1997
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 21:28:27 -0800
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Guide to Primaries rev 1.01
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Subscriber: tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com Tue Jan 28 23:15:20 1997
> > Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 23:11:20 -0500
> > From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> > Subject: Guide to Primaries rev 1.01
> >
> >     [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
> >     [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
> >     [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
> >
> > THE GUIDE: TESLA COIL PRIMARIES
> > Rev. 1.01 January 28, 1996
> >
> <MAJOR Snippola>
>
> Tom,
>
> Looks pretty good to me! Some fill-in formulas would also be useful for
> the helical, Archimedes, and inverse conical primaries. The helical and
> Archimedes forms are from Wheeler, and the inverse conical is a hybrid
> closed-form that appropriately weights the vertical and horizontal
> components of Helical and Archimedes inductances.
>
> All dimensions are in inches, and L is in microHenries. While the
> Archimedes calculation is a little "hairier" than the first two, it's
> relatively easy to calculate for any desired angle, especially if set up
> in a spreadsheet.

> Case 1: Archimedes Spiral:
>
>           Let R = Ave Radius
>               N = Number of Turns
>               w = Width of Winding
>

>            |   R    |      N Turns
>       o o o o o o   |   o o o o o o
>       |    W    |
>

>      L = R^2*N^2/(8*R+11*W)

> Case 2: Helical Primary:
>
>                 | R |
>             --  o       o
>             |   o       o
>                 o       o
>             L   o       o  N Turns
>                 o       o
>             |   o       o
>             --  o       o
>
>       L = R^2*N^2/(9*R+10*L)  (Vertical Helix)

> Case 3: Inverse Conical Primary:
>
>                                    /
> \                                        --  o
> /    o
>      |    o   N turns            /    o
>            o                 Z  /    o
>      h      o                  /    o   /
>              o                /    o   /
>      |        o              /    o   /  Angle = X
>                o              \  o   /
>      --         o               o    ------------
>         |   w   |   R   |
>             |<--  W  -->|
>

>           Z = Coil Width (hypotenuse)
>           X = Angle of Cone
>           h = Z*sin(X)  Effective vertical Height
>           w = Z*cos(X)  Effective horizontal Width
> [...]

Bert,
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
I am sure that *eventually* I would have dug these formulae up, but you
have saved me endless hours of frustration. This frees me up to expend my
energies in other ways, like rummaging through all the posts from the past.

As I go through I snip out anything dealing with topic A B or C and put it
into a continuous Pile of stuff dealing with that topic. Then I run through
all of a particular topic and arrange the stuff in a logical order as best
I can. Then I weed out obvious duplicates and stuff that I know is not
quite correct (actually I don't weed it out. I correct it and leave it
there). I print it all out and begin the rumination part. I try to locate
where there are gaps that need to be filled in, and then begin to rough out
how I am going to attack a particular topic. Once I have at least some of
the material in a fairly presentable form I post what I have so far. If I
am lucky, that will result in more input, and hopefully some of the gaps
get filled. It is a long and tedious process, but quite a learning
experience for myself, so I actually enjoy it.

Again, thanks for your generous sharing of the formulae (and with drawings
no less!) I am sure that many of the list members have already put that
posting in their own list of Things To Keep!

Fr. Thomas McGahee