[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary/secondary spacing

At 10:25 PM 1/23/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net Thu Jan 23 22:09:31 1997
>Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 19:24:24 -0500
>From: Steve Falco <sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Primary/secondary spacing
>
>Does anyone have a rule of thumb for the spacing between the inner-most
>turn of the primary and the secondary?  I'd like to make my new coil
>fairly compact, but without it arcing over.  I have heard that the
>primary turn-to-turn spacing should be about the same as the diameter of
>the primary tubing (say 1/4" to 1/2"), but I have not seen anything on
>the primary/seconary spacing.
>
>	Steve Falco
>	sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net

Steve,

I like to leave about 1" at the base of the coil as a minimum.  Spacing on
primary turns should never be less than about 1/2" unless you are using
banded strip primaries.  these can often be as little as 3/8".  For huge
tubing (<1/2"dia) the diameter of the tubing would be quite adequate.

Richard Hull, TCBOR