[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: new coil

At 10:58 PM 1/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: major-at-vicksburg-dot-com Thu Jan 16 22:57:39 1997
>Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 21:45:08 -0600
>From: RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: new coil
>
>Well I've found at least part of the problem. It seems the ball
>discharge terminal was too large, so to correct the problem I took a
>plastic fishing cork and covered it in aluminum foil. Tapped in at the
>13th turn I got 12inch sparks! But I'm still having sparks break out on
>the wire leadig up to the terminal.

I used Plasti Dip to coat the wire.

 Maybe substituting a terminal
>somewhere in between the two sizes is the answer?

nope.

 I also decreased the
>distance between the terminal and the top of the coil hoping that that
>would help. No joy. Will also try increase in conductor on ground
>connection to reduce skin effect.
>

>                                 Frankensteins Helper
>                                        Max

Max,

What did you treat your secondary with? You should coat it with many layers
of varathane or better is that two part epoxy paint, Chip swears by this
stuff so you should ask him about where you can get it. Personally I do not
use that but I have many coats of varnish on my secondary and the few top
turns including the air wound part is coated with Plasti Dip. The Plasti Dip
does away with corona leaking out the coil. Also read the post about primary
coils, that will help you with the coupling. Anything further from me would
be speculation, I now leave it in the hands of the experts.

Good luck!

                                       Regards,
                                            Kevin Nardelle

   * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
My main web page IS UP all TESLA
related with lotsa pictures and links.
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev/tesla
http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell
Non related sites I have
The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev