[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: does anybody really read these?

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: does anybody really read these?
> Date: Thursday, January 16, 1997 11:58 PM
>
> Subscriber: s002cgs-at-discover.wright.edu Thu Jan 16 22:54:36 1997
> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 15:07:21 -0500
> From: CURTIS SANDOVAL <s002cgs-at-discover.wright.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: does anybody really read these?
>
> Friends, coilers, countrymen,
>
>   Have a few questions to toss out;
>
>   First, when plating a tyre form for a toroid, how pronounced an effect
> do you think it would be if the tyre was steel-belted or otherwise metal
> enforced?  Theoretically it could induct and set up some sort of EM
> interference, right?

I think everyone was talking about plating an inner tube.

>   Second, (re: frequencies below 50 Hz) Okay, so how big would the coil
> need to be?  Have been working on this one for quite some time myself,
> and i cannot seem to get the equations to give me a reasonable answer.
> Am thinking somewhere in the 8 Hz range, anybody give me some
> sizes/equations??  Also, i will be cautious, as it seems that the lower
> the frequency the greater the electrocution danger...

A coil that is 144" dia. 288" tall wound with #23 is about 800 Hz  free
standing.
Scale that by 100 and maybe your close.

>   Third, what about filling an old lead-acid battery or similar device
> with oil or water and using as a capacitor??  They are already designed
> for maximum internal surface area and high amperages...  Will this
> work?? (Happen to have a few i was thinking about using...)

NO

>   Fourth, what works best for a spark gapper??  Do you set a gap such
> that the spark can only jump when it has sufficient voltage, or is the
> motor/wheel setup more reliable.  Have a friend that uses a blender
> motor and some nails in a box that seems to work (if you think 'mix' is
> cool, check out 'frappe'...), but it would seem that there would be
> something better out there.  Also, what about car ignition systems,
> points/plugs or electronic??  8 sparks/rev, 10000rpm...

Depends on the system. Do some dinking around.
Dave