[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Coil

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

Greetings Coilers.

Just putting the finishing touches on my new (and first) coil and I thought
I might share the design with you and see what you think. I was never very
good with math (got held back a year in Electrical Engineering because of
calculus) so I adopted the build it and it shall work principle. Always
been a maker not a designer :)

Primary CCT

5 KV 30 mA Neon XFormer
salt water capacitors (bottle type) ~ 4.3 nF
Air quench type spark gap using 1" x 1.5" round brass electrodes and/or a
commercial plasma p/s spark gap (3 series electrodes mounted in 1.5" square
brass bases on a porcelain mount)
1\8 copper tubing inside 3/8 (OD) PTVC (?) tubing close wound in a spiral
with a 30* rise. Inside ~3" diameter outside ~10.5" diameter.
Primary tapped from 4th  to 12th turns on alternating sides for tuning
strike rail 1\2"above top coil mounted on top of primary coil form

Secondary CCT

2" x 13" schedule40 PVC pipe
~450 turns #24 magnet wire close wound over 11" of form
top and bottom of coil connections are 2 1\4" x 1\8" copper disks
insulating inside form is 1\2" insulboard (to prevent arcing between
copper)
torrid is 9" x 3" Styrofoam covered with aluminum ducting tape and has a 5"
x 1\8 copper disk in the middle

All connections are made permanent where possible (solder and/or brazing)
and all wiring is made with 50 Ohm coax (used for industrial plasma Tank
Ccts)

One of the questions I have is concerning the Tank Cct. There seem to be a
number of ways to connect the components. I am connecting the capacitors
across the HV XFormer and the spark gap and coil in series with this. What
are the disadvantages \ advantages with this setup. Is there a
configuration that would be more effective ?

Also I have noticed a lot of static gaps use a combination of two or more
in series. What are the advantages \ reasons for doing this. Would I be
best to do this ... use one ... the other ? I will probably try all the
combinations in time, but some input that would make the first run a
success would be appreciated.

Any comments as to things I might have overlooked \ forgotten would be
greatly appreciated. If there are any industrious mathematicians out there
I would be interested in the particulars on this coil, but don't lose any
sleep ... I didn't :) TIA for any and all comments suggestions and (ahem)
flames regarding this work of (hack hack) art.

		Tim

*
*          Oh, to have been at Wardencliff
*
**************** maleske-at-worldchat-dot-com ************