[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pri/Sec coiling

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

> Subscriber: pwac-at-flinet-dot-com Tue Feb 11 23:12:10 1997
> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 18:30:51 +0500
> From: Jeremy Bair <pwac-at-flinet-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Pri/Sec coiling

> BTW: What is a GOOD way I can test these neons? Make a Jacobs ladder?
> Hold (Or aha, not hold, but suspend) a phosphoresant light above the
> terminals?
>
> Also, just as a note for anyone who can respond, the lady (the lady that
> is selling the neons) had a device called a "Tester" that she uses to
> test neon presence in her bulbs, the way she described it, it sounded
> like a Tesla coil without the gaps or the caps?? Does this make sense??
>
> Jeremy Bair

Jeremy,
Connect a good HV insulated wire to the case. Turn on Neon. Draw arc from
wire to terminal. Test both terminals. If you get equal sized arcs, it is
probably good.

The little Tesla coil the lady uses is a form of Tesla or Oudin coil that
uses a multiple layer secondary. We coilers use a single layer secondary.
The primary high voltage comes from a thing called a kickback coil, which
is just a coil of wire with a vibrating contact that is adjustable
(something like that found on the old model T ford coils.) This kickback
coil will take 120VAC and generate about 600volts that is used to caharge a
capacitor. The vibrating contact is the equaivalent of our spark gap. The
RF is used to excite the neon gas. Thus she can test a sign to see if it
has neon at the right pressure. It is also used for testing for leaks. If
there is a minute hole in the glass, then the spark will work its way right
through the hole, making the minute hole very visible. WOW! An application
for a Tesla coil! There are many more uses!!!

Fr. Tom McGahee