[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com Tue Feb 11 23:12:17 1997
> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 16:56:13 -0500 (EST)
> From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Top Toroid

> << [snip]
>
>  > A question for Richard Hull, if 400 to 600 bps is what you see from
>  > experience as a good general number, why does this coil want higher and
>  > higher rpm?
>  >
>  > Comments anyone?
>

>  Ed,
>
>  Because a higher rpm results in increased output power, which is always
> good.
>
>  -GL
>   >>
> Greg,
>
> Part of my original reason behind my discussion was to see if anyone thought
> the high break rate was maybe a cause of the commercial Condenser Products
> cap failure.  I didn't get much feedback on that idea.
>
> Ed Sonderman

Ed,

Running _any_ cap at higher break rates in Tela Coil service will
certainly stress it more. If it has any internal weakness (especially a
poor/higher resistance interconnection), it may fail from the additional
heating and vibrational stress. However, ANY cap, if pushed far enough,
will fail. High break rates (>600 BPS), coupled with high TC primary
currents (i.e., relatively low primary L) are a recipe for cap failure.

Safe coilin' to you, Ed!

-- Bert --