[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Dwell

At 10:25 PM 2/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-com Mon Feb 10 21:57:09 1997
>Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 14:02:01 -0800
>From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-com>
>To: tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: Gap Dwell
>
>Hi All
>
>There has been lots of discussion about dwell time and the need to
>reduce it so that quench times can be reduced.  So.......
>
>How do you measure dwell time...or do you just calculate it?
>
>This question was asked before...How do you measure quench time?
>
>I will appreciate any enlightenment.
>
>Skip
>
>Skip,

Calculated dwell times are never accurate, but can be close in some possible
scenarios.

The best way to know is to measure.

 It can be done with a capacitive divder placed across the gap hooked to a
storage scope.  Dwell time would be the average time that the gap spends
about the lowest recorded voltage (0% to about 10%) of the peak voltage of
the transformer.  This method suffers in that we must assume a lot about the
actual end of the arc.

A current transformer in the primary tank circuit is a sure way to know.
Major curents can only occur there when the gap is conducting!

Another excellent method is the "arc light" method, with a fast photo diode
looking at one of the gap arcs, itself.

Richard Hull, TCBOR