[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Marx PS

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

This *is* Tesla coil related. It deals with alternate
methods of generating the high peak voltages and currents
needed to power the primary circuit of a Tesla coil
that is connected for pure tank operation.

> Subscriber: gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net Mon Feb 10 22:03:01 1997
> Date: Sun, 09 Feb 1997 08:52:09 -0800
> From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Marx PS
>
> I don't know about the Tesla impulse design Marx power supply.  Where
> can I get more information?  Where can I get a circuit drawing?  How
> does this type tesla system compair to other tesla coils?
>
> Gary Weaver

I am drawing this lengthwise because it will otherwise
get messed up by most people's e-mail programs!

X is the inductor
p is primary
s is secondary

 120VAC Input
   |    |
   |    |
    pppp
 ssssssssss  HV Transformer
 |        |  Usually 5KV at 120MA or more
 X        X
 |        |
 |        |
 ----||---*------------- This is Low Side Output
 |\       |
 | \      |
 |  \     | Capacitors Charge in Parallel...
 |   o    |   But they Discharge in series!
 |    o   |
 X     \  X
 |      \ |
 |       \|
 ----||----
 |\       |
 | \      |
 |  \     | Capacitors Charge in Parallel...
 |   o    |   But they Discharge in series!
 |    o   |
 X     \  X
 |      \ |
 |       \|
 ----||----

This wire is High Side Output lead

The High side output lead is usually connected to a
Heavy Duty Spark Gap that is connected to one side
of the paralleled primary/cap of the Tesla coil.
This Gap is used to provide isolation between the
Power Caps and the Resonant Tuned Circuit.

There are several variations on this circuit, but
this one is fairly easy to understand.
During charge up the coils are low impedance.
Once the first spark jumps, the coils all become
high impedance, and the output voltage is now
basically three series-connected capacitors. The
voltages from all three add up. For the 5KV transformer
shown, the output would be about 15KV.
The value of the capacitors affects the charging time,
as does the impedance of the secondary of the
transformer.

Fr. Tom McGahee