[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

R.I.P. Neon!

Hey everyone from both lists, before I do something stupid, let me get
some facts straight. Here are some quotes from various text about the
stability of neons:

"Neon sign transformers have a built-in series inductance,
which limits the current when they are shorted so there is no problem in
using them for Jacob's Ladders." -William Beaty
(http://www.eskimo-dot-com/~billb/tesla/jl1.txt)

Ok, well, thats the only quote now, I dont feel like scrolling through
500+ messages from just this month from all the mailing lists I'm on,
AND its late. (This is where that little red flag in Netscape comes in
REAL handy ;)

What I am asking is if Bill is stating this (which we know Bill is
allways right), then why do neons die? Is it from a backflow from the
caps or the primary that causes this? Or CAN you actually burn out a
neon by overloading it?

And if it is because of backflow from the caps/primary, how is this
prevented? Safety gaps?

See ya guys l8r. I am hopeing I can get out to the Hamfest in Orlando.

PS: Anyone know the admission cost?

Jeremy Bair