[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Newbie's Coil

T>It may help some newer members of the list if I describd how I made my first
T>coil.
T>I was inspired by two books that must be long out of print, by an American
T>scientist by the name of A(Archie?) Collins, who was, I believe, a pioneer
T>of wireless telephony.  They were: "Electricity For Boys" and "Fun With
T>Electricity." They are listed as "missing" in the British Museum.

T>Basically I made a capacitive discharge coil.  Let's look at a schema of the
T>components.
 [ ... ]

T>The primary was made of 18SWG wire (1.22mm.), bare, and the secondary of
T>36SWG (.193mm.) plastic coated wire. I made a squirrel cage on which to wrap
T>the primary ,and 18SWG wire is a pig to wind, and I first used some 6mm.
T>dowelling on which to wind the secondary.  All the wood was well varnished
T>with polyurethane.

[ ... ]
T>If I haven't covered anything, shout out. It was pretty cheap to make.

        So?  SO?   =SO?=  (I'm shouting, now):  =HOW DID IT PERFORM?=
                                                            ^^^^^^^^^
        What did it do?  What did you do with it?   Where is it now?
        What kind of terminus? (toroid? spheroid? [hemorrhoid?] )

T>Incidentally, has anyone used a Van Der Graaf machine for their high tension?

        Hopefully not.  No power.  Power is =everything= in a
        Tesla coil.  High-voltage is only incidental - because
        it's necessary to have a spark-gap to generate Tesla
        oscillations - and it's nice to have enough of a gap to
        allow some range of adjustment for tweaking performance.

                                - R. M.