[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How many gaps is too much?

At 11:25 PM 2/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: tesla-at-america-dot-com Tue Feb 11 22:56:01 1997
>Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 07:14:41 -0500 (EST)
>From: Bob Schumann <tesla-at-america-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: How many gaps is too much?
>
>Howdy all,
>        Maybe I am mistaken but did Tesla say something like
>that you could never have too many gaps?
>
>I was thinking of making a stationary spark gap but to have
>many of them which will bring the distance between any given
>2 gaps closer as the number of gaps increase. I think that by
>having many more gaps, you would have a better 'resolution'
>so to speak when adding in or taking out gaps.
>
>Thanks is advance
>Bob Schumann
>
>Bob,

Very old idea, only recently pulled off the shelf, dusted off, and shown to
outdo any rotary gap up to the 5KW class if done thoughfully.  I have even
seen them used quite effectively on small magnifiers!  Our own Dave Sharpe
has a tapable 20 gap static that is plenum forced air cooled and it is his
go anywhere gap.  I use a 13 gap setup with my small coil which used a 4KV neon.

Richard Hull, TCBOR