[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 5KV transformer - now what

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: 100624.504-at-CompuServe.COM Mon Feb 17 21:59:03 1997
> Date: 17 Feb 97 17:55:09 EST
> From: Alan Sharp <100624.504-at-CompuServe.COM>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: 5KV transformer - now what
>
> Greetings All,
>
> Thanks to Michael I now have a 5500V, 360mA transformer, an old fashioned sturdy
> job, paper and varnish insulation - no tar or oil. No visible shunts. Also an 8A
> 250v
> variac (230V mains in UK).
>
> How is likely to fair in Tesla service?
> Should I immerse it in oil? I'd rather not because of the mess & extra weight.
>
> I've to speak to a Men's group next week - they heard I mess about with this
> stuff.
> I'm not going to try and build a conventional coil by then :) I've got a Mosfet
> magnifier
> that throws out a 14" arc that I can use. A number have hearing aids -no
> pacemakers -
> I'll check though - it would be too embarassing as their minister it would be
> *my* funeral ;)
> How far away should I keep the hearing aids - I'm tempted to set up the demo in
> the big hall
> and ask them to leave their aids before they come through -they'll still hear it
> :)
>
> I would like though to have a jacobs ladder and try out the transformer at the
> same time.
> But I need to limit the current - I was thinking of using the secondary of a
> microwave transformer (or) as a choke on the HV side - would this be enough?
> (I've no way of measuring the induction or I'd do the
> sums) Or is there something else that I can use?
>
> Have fun
>
> Alan Sharp

Alan,

Your plan to use your MOSFET maggie until you get the other system
running is wise. The 5500 volts transformer is a little low,
voltage-wise, for a disruptive coil. Because of the somewhat "purer"
spectral content of the MOSFET coil, it will probably cause less of a
problem with hearing aids. Those with in-the-ear type would probably not
have a problem, but if any have the older style with long wires
(antennas), they should probably keep their's away to avoid the risk of
damage.

If your microwave transformer is current limited, I'd short out the HV
secondary, and run the primary in series with your new plate
transformer. You may also want to hook some relatively low resistance
across the transformer if you need to further beef up the amount of
primary current - a few 100-200 watt light bulbs may do the trick.

Good luck, Alan!

-- Bert --