[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 5KV transformer - now what

>Subscriber: 100624.504-at-CompuServe.COM Mon Feb 17 21:59:03 1997
>Date: 17 Feb 97 17:55:09 EST
>From: Alan Sharp <100624.504-at-CompuServe.COM>
>To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: Re: 5KV transformer - now what
>
>Greetings All,
>
>Thanks to Michael I now have a 5500V, 360mA transformer, an old fashioned sturdy
>job, paper and varnish insulation - no tar or oil. No visible shunts. Also an 8A
>250v
>variac (230V mains in UK).
>
>How is likely to fair in Tesla service?
>Should I immerse it in oil? I'd rather not because of the mess & extra weight.
Hi Alan,
	I'm of 2 minds about how well the paper and varnish will hold
up. Maybe others on the list have experience with dry transformers and
will post their suggestions.

 I've a 7200V pig, you will have to work on the spark gaps to get them
to quench well. I get about 3.5' arcs with my 15kV 60mA neon (900W)
I'm only getting 1.5' to 2' arcs with my pig (220V -at- 20A -> 4400W)

[snip]

>I would like though to have a jacobs ladder and try out the transformer at the
>same time.
>But I need to limit the current - I was thinking of using the secondary of a
>microwave transformer (or) as a choke on the HV side - would this be enough?
>(I've no way of measuring the induction or I'd do the
>sums) Or is there something else that I can use?

Do your microwave transformers have magnetic shunts in them? If so,
short their outputs and wire the primary in series with your 5500V
transformer as a ballast. You can use more than 1 microwave
transformer in parallel to get a higher current.

	Cheers,

	jim