[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary CURRENT

Bert Hickman wrote:

[snip]

> The Q of the secondary system is a measure of its "lossiness". A number
> of experimental measurements on operating coils have shown that the
> secondary Q declines markedly once streamers are formed. One set of
> experiments, for example, showed secondary Q dropping from about 150 to
> the range of 10-20 depending upon the operational power level and how
> "heavy" the streamers were. This was on a secondary & toroid with a
> characteristic impedance at resonance of about 42000 Ohms. If we grossly
> model this as leakage current due to the lossy dielectric (air) of the
> secondary toroid cap, then this would represent an average "leakage"
> resistance of about 420k Ohms under moderately heavy (Q=10) streamer
> conditions. This implies that the "average" streamer current for this
> coil was in the ballpark of about 1/10 of the reactive current covered
> in the no-breakout case above or about:

[snip]

A thorough analysis as usual, Bert!

I was considering using the secondary base current waveforms as a metric for
judging how well the output impedance is matched to the streamer impedance.

What do you think is the best loaded Q on the secondary for optimum power transfer?
IMO, optimum energy xfer occurs as long as the loaded Q is low enough so that 90%
of the secondary energy is gone within 1/2 of a beat cycle.

-GL