[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: transformer lamination

At 10:25 PM 2/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> > Subject: transformer lamination
>> Subject: Re: transformer lamination
>> > Subject: transformer lamination
>
>Subscriber: major-at-vicksburg-dot-com Mon Feb 10 21:56:20 1997
>Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 23:10:19 -0600
>From: RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: transformer lamination
>
>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> > Subject: transformer lamination
>>
>> Subscriber: bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com Fri Feb  7 22:54:31 1997
>> Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 06:14:37 -0800
>> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: transformer lamination
>>
>> Tesla List wrote:
>> >
>> > Subscriber: major-at-vicksburg-dot-com Fri Feb  7 00:39:27 1997
>> > Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 23:23:10 -0600
>> > From: RODERICK MAXWELL <major-at-vicksburg-dot-com>
>> > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> > Subject: transformer lamination
>> >
>> > I have completely cleaned up and reassembled the core of the first of
>> > four neon transformers that I got from a sign shop in town. after I put
>> > it back together I checked the isolation between laminations with an ohm
>> > meter. And lo and behold they read low resistance. I'm not an electrical
>> > engineer like some of you fellas but even I know that there should be
>> > some sort of insulating coating between the laminations to cut down on
>> > eddy cuurents! Are neon cores supposed to be this way? The only thing I
>> > see on the laminations is some sort of metal blueing. I guess this is to
>> > keep them from oxidizing, I have taken appart other cores and they all
>> > had varnish applied. I wonder if it would hurt to apply some varnish?
>> > Any suggestions, or answers would be welcome!
>> >
>> >                                Frankensteins Helper
>> >                                        Max
>>
>> Roderick,
>>
>> You're right - laminations are usually insulated from one another. A
>> _thin_ layer of varnish should work very well.
>>
>> -- Bert --
>

>   Okay then I'll varnish the suckers since there seems to be enough
> clearance around the primary winding. I plan to take on the long, and
> tedious task of rewinding the secondaries for the same reason you have
> just stated (undersized wire). I may end up with lower voltage but the
> transformer should be more robust, and able to have a higher current
> output since I'll remove some of the shunts, and add pfc caps.
>
>                              Thanks for the the information!
>

>                                   Frankensteins Helper
>                                           Max

Roderick,

I wouldn't go to the effort. All my unpotted neons show DC resistance
of zero ohms across the laminations. I have delaminated them all
and reassembled them without revarnishing. They work fine.
Neons are so terribly inefficient to begin with I doubt it would
be worth the effort.

Mike Hammer
mhammer-at-misslink-dot-net