[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: SW Bottle CAPACITORS EXPLODE!

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Tue Feb 11 22:30:48 1997
> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 23:56:14 -0600
> From: Kevin Nardelle <knardell-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
> To: mhammer-at-misslink-dot-net
> Subject: SW Bottle CAPACITORS EXPLODE!
>
> Ok I take back everything I said about SW Bottle caps not exploding, we blew
> three tonight and one of them exploded with such fury my cool neighbor has a
> cut under his eye from flying glass.
>
> They all blew and threw oil and glass over the room, I always kept mine in a
> box but these were sitting on the table about 2 feet away from the coil so I
> think that could be the problem.
> On another note we did get 10 inches of spark from this tiny coil. The
> winding legnth is 9 inches so we are doing ok.
>
> We both have decided to stop running the coils untill we make the poly caps.
>
> For all you guys that still use the saltwater capacitors be carefull!
>
>                                        Regards,
>                                             Kevin Nardelle
>
>    ********************************************
>    * T   E   S   L   A      C   O   I   L   S *
>    ********************************************
> Kevin Nardelle   knardell-at-accesscom-dot-net
> My main web page IS UP all TESLA
> related with lotsa pictures and links.
> http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev/tesla
> http://www.accesscom-dot-net/nardell
> Non related sites I have
> The Louisiana Swamps Online (Under construction)
> http://www.icorp-dot-net/users/kev

Kevin,

Glad to hear that niether you nor your neighbor were seriously injured!
The 120 MA power source is somewhat higher that most beginning coilers
use. Once your cap broke down, the additional energy that the larger
transformer could supply may have been a contributing factor. Guess I'll
have to ammend my previous claim that SW caps only go "tink"...
sometimes they go _TINK_!! It certainly sounds like enclosing them in a
box is a very good idea!

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert H --