[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Toroid

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu Tue Feb 11 23:04:12 1997
> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 17:30:13 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Edward V. Phillips" <ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Top Toroid
>
> Re:
> "With a conventional
> xformer the charging current at the .707 point would only be limited by
> the impedance/resistance of the xformer winding. Therefore it appears to
> me that trying to run neons with more than one cap discharge per half
> cycle is self defeating because we cannot recharge the cap fast enough
> to make any difference."
>         Not so.  Because the net reactance of the charging circuit is
> the sum of the transformer leakage reactance (positive) and the
> capacitor leakage reactance (negative) you can have a great deal of
> charging current available, and easily get several discharges per
> half cycle.  In fact, when the reactances are "matched" the charging
> current is limited only by the resistance of the secondary plus the
> reflected resistance of the primary.  As a consequence, the secondary
> voltage without load can try to go to several times the rated voltage,
> with resultant destruction of the transformer.  When you connect a
> capacitive load on the transformer the open-circuit voltage will be
> greater than the no-load voltage, at least for capacitances whose
> reactance is less than the somewhat higher than the "matched" value.
>         I have run a bunch of simulations of this which seem to
> agree with experimental observations quite well.  One thing which
> shows up with rather large capacitors is that it may take several
> half (or even full) cycles for the voltage to build up to the point
> where it will fire the simulated gap.
>         If I get time and ambition I'll post some of these results,
> but have neither at the moment.
> Sorry for the incomplete discussion,
> Ed

Fr. Tom, Ed and All

First Father, thank you for the excellent discussion you posted under
the constant current neon thread.

Ed raises an excellent point in this post. What does happen when the
neon is resonating with the primary cap? How do we attain the very high
voltages ( 2x, 3x, 4x) that we all know can develope at resonance if the
neon can only deliver limited current? And the next obvious question is,
can we actually charge the cap to maximum voltage more than once during
1/2 cycle of the mains? It seems to me that this would require a
tremendous amount of current from the neon, far exceeding its current
limit.

Skip