[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pig question

Tesla List wrote:

> Subscriber: teslacoil-at-mindspring-dot-com Thu Feb 13 22:08:14 1997
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 20:36:17 -0500
> From: "Kevin M. Conkey" <teslacoil-at-mindspring-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Pig question
>
> Hello fellow pigger's,
>
> I am working on the controller for my Pig. It is a 19.9KV 15 KW  unit.
>
> I read once that someone used 3- 2000W oven elements(8.33 ohms) in
> parallel for a resistance of 2.78 ohms.
>
> I have several air cooled power resistors ranging from 5kw to 30kw.
> I want as much flexability as possible.
>
> Could a few of you guys out there that use big pigs please tell me what
> resistances that you have needed to use at various times across your
> current control (welder)? And what power levels they would need to
> dissapate.
>
> Thankyou in advance,

Kevin,

  We have a 10KVA 14.4KV pig controlled using a 48 amp input Century
welder with three series connected .171 ohm 120 amp resistors paralleled
across it.  All of this is fed by a 240 volt 28 amp Powerstat.  We
haven't gotten the system up to anywhere near full power yet, but the
resistors ought to be good for approx 7500 watts continuous duty.  The
resistors do seem to smooth out the response a bit.

Dave Euans