[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Get it over with

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

> Subscriber: Kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com Fri Jan 31 22:57:11 1997
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 03:57:43 -0600
> From: Kerry Ludwig <Kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Get it over with
>
> I have several questions that I have been meaning to ask.  I thought that
> might as well get them all over with at once, so here goes.

-snip-

> 2.  Can spark-gaps be used to protect a cap. in the same way that they
are
> used to protect a transformer?  Maybe use small spheres rather than
points?

Yes. You don't want to waste any of the stored energy, so corona reduction
via a curved electrode is indeed desireable. Without some form of safety
gap an expensive capacitor can be ruined in a fraction of a second. Even if
the capacitor is very much larger in breakdown than the applied voltage, it
is still a good idea. Many do not do it (until they puncture a capacitor,
that is!) In one of his posts Richard Quick suggested putting a safety gap
right on the capacitor itself. This makes sense, as it is then always
protected without further thought on your part as you mix and match
components in your system(s).

-snip snip snip-

> Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
>
> Kerry "Kilroy" Ludwig
> Kilroy-at-BSCN.COM

Fr. Tom McGahee