[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: wife

>Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 23:15:40 -0700
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: wife

  [ snip ]

 Richard wrote:

>This begs the questions does "smart" mean intelligent, wise, practical or
>discerning.  The difference might lie more in the manner in which women are
>"brought up" and the way the world views them as they mature.  Also they are
>a completely different animal due to internal chemistry.

   Indeed.  But did you know that female human brains are also
   actually **wired** differently?  It's true.  The female human brain
   has far more cross connections between the right and left sides.
   This give them the ability (as verified by experiment) to recognize
   changes in patterns - such as minor changes in the surroundings,
   the air, the stars, the traffic, the people, the furniture in a
   room or a set of objects on a page - significantly faster than
   males, but it also allows the two sides of the brain to
   interfere/interrupt each other more.  The ability to sense that
   something is different about one environment or one situation or
   one set of conditions (compared to another set) faster than the
   male is, I believe, the essence of "female intuition".  Their
   surroundings thus affect their feelings more.  They are 'touched'
   more easily by good or bad deeds. (Flowers, anyone?)  Males have
   anatomically fewer cross-connections between their right and left
   sides of their brains, thus males are better at deep thought and
   being able to isolate theoretical or technical things from their
   feelings, and their surroundings from their thinking abilities.  I
   believe this difference is the basis of the often heard statement
   that men think and women feel.  (Or, that most men are left-brain
   dominant.)

   I read all this in a research science magazine while I was waiting
   at a physiotherapist's' office a few years ago.  I am surprised that
   not more has been made of it.  Do you think this knowledge is being
   actively suppressed?  I would believe that it is.

> Men tend to be a bit more curious about more ecclectic things which will
>have no immediate benefit and might actually put them at financial or
>physical risk.  Men are more mechanical.  Women are probably actually more
>intellectual in the theoretical and conceptual end of things.  Women are a
>bit "smarter" in that they tend to look at the "moment to moment"
>practicality of their acts and works.   Men seem to be amused and incredibly
>fascinated by the most outlandish and abstract of things.  This is why
>marriages either work very well (symbiotic relationship with dual party
>adaptability) or fail miserably (diametrically different thought patterns
>with inflexible personalities).

   Every one of these wise observations can be explained by the extra
   cross-wiring in the female brain. The female brain also tends to be
   a tiny bit smaller than the male brain (just like the male and
   female bodies).  Does that mean it runs faster?  :-)

>I don't desire or miss women in this area of science.

   This topic has come up in Physics Today quite often.  It seems to
   me from the workshops and conventions I attend that the baseline
   participation of women at these events is in the 1 to 5 percent
   range, although in any given split-off discussion group of 30 to
   100 people at these events, there is a good likelihood that there
   will be no women at all.

   Among the physicists doing experiments at our laboratory there are
   quite a few junior female researchers working on their first PHD in
   physics, but most of the older physicists, the ones leading the
   projects, are male, and from various countries.  If I exclude one
   woman who is the head of our data acquisition group that assists
   with the wiring of the experiments, then all the experiment group
   leaders are male.

>But, in general, if
>they are involved and are super dedicated as are many of we men,  They
>certainly appear to others to be an "odd fish" in a societal sort of way.
>This is not good but just the way it is.
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

   Indeed. The common thinking I have heard voiced is that the woman
   has to be twice as smart and work twice as hard to appear half as
   good as a man in this area.

   There is one young female physicist on one of the experiments here
   who gives the best and most understandable and exciting lectures.
   That "twice as much" effort is certainly obvious in her case.

 Fred W. Bach ,    Operations Group        | Internet: music-at-triumf.ca
 TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)    | Voice:  604-222-1047 loc 6327/7333
 4004 WESBROOK MALL, UBC CAMPUS            | FAX:    604-222-1074
 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., CANADA   V6T 2A3
 "Accuracy is important. Details can mean the difference between life & death."
 These are my opinions, which should ONLY make you read, think, and question.
 They do NOT necessarily reflect the views of my employer or fellow workers.