[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ed's Pig answer

At 10:25 PM 2/16/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: teslacoil-at-mindspring-dot-com Sun Feb 16 21:55:30 1997
>Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 22:44:41 -0500
>From: "Kevin M. Conkey" <teslacoil-at-mindspring-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Ed's Pig answer
>

>> Tesla List wrote:
>
>>  I operate coils from 2 KW to 13 KW from
>> two paralleled Lincoln AC-225-S arc welders and 5 to 15 KVA pole
>> trensformers with no problem. The welders are very smooth( no bucking
>or
>> thumping) and the current can be adjusted in very small increments. If
>> you want to be able to have infinitely adjustable current control,
>look
>> for welders which have a variable shunt rather than a switch on the
>> front panel.
>> That 19.9 KV pole is a great Tesla power supply. Nice find!
>>
>> Happy and safe high power coiling,
>>
>> Ed Wingate
>
>Ed,
>
>Do the people that use resistive ballast have the bumping and thumping
>because their welder is not the infinetly variable type?
>
>What are the ratings of the welders that you have? I would like to
>compare.
>I have a 250A Century and am picking up a 300 A Lincoln this coming
>Sunday. Both are the infinatly variable type.
>
>  [Part 2, Text/HTML  38 lines]
>  [Unable to print this part]
>

>Kevin,

I'll chime in here!  The bumping and thumping is because of multiple
inductors in the circuit all see-sawing around.  (Transforemr, current
limiting inductor, variac, etc)  Only a special inductor with almost no core
or a variable core will help.  A bit of resistance in the circuit always
crushes the bumps out though.  I have used both, in series for years on both
pigs and potential transformers.

Richard Hull, TCBOR