[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why does top capacitance work?

At 03:25 PM 2/15/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: lod-at-pacbell-dot-net Sat Feb 15 14:25:24 1997
>Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:26:05 -0800
>From: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Why does top capacitance work?
>
>Bert wrote:
>
>> Steve,
>>
>> It turns out that adding capacitance to the top actually reduces the
>> maximum output voltage that the coil can generate! However, adding a
>> toroid-shaped top-load can prevent the secondary from starting to
>> break-out with corona/streamers until a higher voltage is reached. This
>[snip]
>
>> -- Bert H --
>
>Bert,
>
>Doesn't this apply only to the very first gap firing, when the power is
>first applied?  After that, the first streamer would adversely compromise
>the holdoff voltage of the toroid, acting electrically as a long needle
>that projects from the toroid.  The subsequent gap firings appear to only
>build upon the initial streamer, unless the gap rate is so low that the
>ions start to re-combine between gap firings.  This results in a large
>number of small streamers.
>
>I am still mystified as to why a large toroid makes a difference.  My
>favorite explanation is that the addition of a huge toroid forces the
>operator of the TC to add capacitance to the primary, for tuning purposes.
>More capacitance increases the thruput power, which is always better.
>

>-GL
>

>Guys,

Gee whiz, I usually cut the capacitor in the tank with giant toroids and
just throw in 7-10 extra primary turns.  Like on old maggey #11-A -  I used
.0125ufd capacitance total in the tank and about 10 turns in the primary and
the 16" long 6" diameter resonator threw 100" sparks using a 20X5 toroid, a
38" diameter 1 foot tall aluminum spreader cone out to a 48"X10" final toroid.

Richard Hull, TCBOR