[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculating Sec. Voltage

Rodney Graham Davies wrote:

[snip]

> >  R. Hull wrote:
> >
> > There are no such useful equations extant that wouldn't pose a great threat
> > of self-deception to any person so bold as to use them or foolish enough to
> > accept their resultant output values.
>
> Hmm, didn't think as much...
>
> > This is a long sought form of teslarian nirvana.  Just plug in the numbers,
> > turn the ole crank and presto, infinite precision and confidence in output
> > voltage prior to the first turn of wire on a resonator.
>
> I think they're called Theoreticalists.
>
> > If someone thinks they have it,  walk away,  They haven't built six of these
> > systems yet.  Most haven't built one!!!!
>
> > Armchair theorists are as common as the seasickness in this business.
> > Followed quickly by wanna-be mathematicians.
>
> > Builders seeking true engineering guidelines are few and often reticent on
> > precise value predictions in direct proportion to the number of systems they
> > have assembled.
>
> Hmm, I'd say that's an accurate answer!
>
> Looks to me as to get out the big-old voltage divider and hook it up to a
> voltmeter and let the Coil arc to it...even so, the results from the
> meter won't be constant...but will give you a good idea, hopefully.
> Margin of expected error +/- 200,000v.
>
> Thanks Richard, your comments have been very contructive and helpful.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Rod

Hi Rod,

You probably shouldn't bother trying to measure the TC output with the divider
that you mention above, as those 'useless theories' predict that the +/- 200kV
margin will result in a measurement error of over 100%, for standard size coils.

It's true that a rigorous theoretical treatment is not necessary to support a
satisfying Tesla Coil hobby, unless the builder has a curious mind and a need
to understand how the crazy thing works.  There are plenty of 'rules-of-thumb'
for TC construction floating around nowadays -- the fruits of countless man-years
of trial and error, and dumpsters full of destroyed or obsoleted equipment.

Theoretical modeling is frustratingly hard work, which is why most people avoid
it like the plague!  It becomes more attractive however, when human lives or
large sums of money are at stake, and there might not be a second chance.

At the least, a basic theoretical background is useful for detecting and avoiding
the ever-present 'fringe science' menace, or even just simple mistakes.

-GL,  "Theoretical Evangelist"