[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: laser caps

At 12:25 AM 2/7/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Subscriber: gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net Fri Feb  7 00:17:33 1997
>Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 08:39:52 -0800
>From: Gary Weaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: laser caps
>
>see attachment
>
>  [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]
>
>    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]
>    [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>    [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>
>Today at the scrap yard I found what I think is a power supply for some
type of laser.  The tag said Laser Products, Mesa, Arizona.  The power
supply has 28 door knob type capacitors.  They are mounted in 2 groups of 14
caps each in parallel.  Each group is mounted side by side and the ends of
the caps all have a single spark gap on the end connecting each cap of one
group to the matching cap of the other group.  It has 14 spark gaps.  The
caps and gaps are mounted inside a 1/2" plastic case with 4 fans on the side
of the case for air flow.  All 4 fans are 4" box fans also sometimes called
muffin fans.  The case also has a small freon type cooling system built
inside. On top of the case is a high voltage transformer, some type of
amplifier device, another control box, a 40,000. volt .06 uf plastic cap,
several high wattage resistors, a choke coil, a high voltage ignition coil
device simular to a car ignition coil large orange plastic, gas flow control
valves and guages and lots of other items.  The thing wei
>ghed 140 lbs. and cost me $21.00 plus tax.
>
>The door know caps are orange, 1.125" dia by 1 1/5" long with a brass screw
in each end.  CERA-MITE 715C,   570PF-Z, 40,000 KVDC, 8148.  I am not sure
but the 570PF-Z might be the cap value of 570 pf.  Does this sound about
right?  I am not familiar with door knob capacitors.

>I already have plans for the .06 uf cap.  It is going to become part of a
portable self contained Tesla Coil.  I also found a nice copper 6" diameter
ball that will make a nice sphere for the secondary.

>The 28 capacitors all mounted to spark gaps are very interesting.  I have
never seen anything like it and I have never thought of making such a
device.   I have not given it any thought yet but it may be useful in TC
applications.  Enclosed is a circuit drawing.

>Gary Weaver
>  [Part 3, Image/GIF  7.7KB]
>  [Unable to print this part]

Gary,

Sounds like a controled breakdown marx generator to me with a main supply
High voltage involving the .06 cap in a standard HV rectifier circuit.

Richard Hull, TCBOR