[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A coil design (fwd)

Hello Mark, all,

<snip original post>
>         I wound a coil last Saturday similar to what you describe above.
> Here is your reality check for comparison.  My coil is 6.25 inches in
> diameter, 22.25 inches tall (3.56:1 H:D), wound with 24 AWG wire (0.56
> mm/turn).  I have around 1000 turns on it.  The measured inductance is 41
> millihenries, the calculated self capacitance is 12.1 picofarads, based on
> the measured self resonant frequency of 228.5 kilohertz.  Qualitatively, the
> coil Q is excellent, exhibiting a very narrow bandwidth at resonance (too
> much nearby equipment for quantitation).
>         I'd say your suggested parameters are right on target Malcolm!

Thanks for that. I pondered for a day, then decided to build a couple
for a twin maggie system when I get time. As luck would have it, I
have some 6.5 HDPE tube and the wire handy. I am currently collecting
vast quantities of polystyrene foam to make some terminals, hence the
question on gluing.

Regards,
Malcolm