[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:40:55 -0500 (EST)
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

<<
 > I measure the power into the system by monitoring the pole pig primary
 > current and voltage.  The only thing I can tell you for sure is the watts
 > consumed.  As to where they went, I am not sure, maybe into the spark
gaps?
 >  Maybe it gets reflected back into the primary and is lost as radiated
 > energy?
 >
 > Ed Sonderman

 Ed,

 At this point, it seems crucial to know _how_ the extra power was applied to
 the coil.  Did you increase the primary voltage (longer sparks), or increase

 the gap rate (thicker, faster sparks above ~300 PPS) ??

 -GL

For the comparison that I mentioned, all I did was to crank the welder down
(to it's maximun current position) like from 70% to 100%.  This increased the
primary currrent - mostly, the voltage might have gone up some but it should
not have been much.

For any given current & voltage setting this coil seems to respond well to
increasing the rotary (async.)  speed - until the C.P. cap explodes.

Ed Sonderman