[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube Coils (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:22:22 -0500
From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Tube Coils (fwd)

> Date:          Sun, 23 Feb 1997 21:06:18 -0700 (MST)
> From:          Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Tube Coils (fwd)

VonPostel, All,

I just scored some 1949 vintage RCA HF military groundstation
transmitting equipment.  Each of the four transmitters had a pair of
gorgeous 450TH Eimac triodes.  I thusly have the sockets and
filament transformers as well.  Two of these tubes had broken
filament strands from shipping abuse and are now being displayed
proudly in my dining room china cabinet.  They are very pretty being
about a foot tall with a 5 inch diameter globe containing the working
ingredients.

By looking at the remains of the filament in one of these damaged
tubes I don't see any white oxide color on these thin tungsten
needles.  Can anyone out there establish for certain whether these
are straight, unthoriated tungsten filaments?  I guess I could tell
from the filament color but I haven't plugged one of these jewels in
yet.  This tube looks about the electrical equivalent of an 833-A.
For performance/cost and modern times availability I'd build 833-A's into a
vac-tube TC, but for a piece of tabletop art, I'd certainly want these in it.

I've NEVER run across any of these tubes surplus, so I suspect they
are rather rare nowadays.

rwstephens