[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Westinghouse/Bazil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 19:41:31 -0600
From: Rick Holland <rickh-at-ghg-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Westinghouse/Bazil (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

<SNIP>
  I'm not sure about the bazillion-system
>         but permit me to show you how an American would make the
>         calculation:
>
>         In a single-phase, sinusoidal ac system of unit power
>         factor (operating in America), the current is given by
>         I  in the following equation:
>
>                         I = P/E
>
>         The formula says that the value of current in unit amperes
>         is obtained by dividing the power (in watts) by the potential
>         difference   E   in volts.
>
>         So --  assume a 1 KW  (i.e. 1 kilowatt or 1000 watt) coil.
>         Assume also the ac line powering the 1 KW coil is at a
>         potential difference of 120 volts.  Then:
>
>                         I = 1000/120
>
>                         I = 8.333.. amps
>
>         Now, if the voltage were 12 instead of 120, the current
>         required would be 10 times as great (trust me):
>
>                         I = 83.333.. amps
<SNIP>

These formulae are quite accurate when applied to DC current and/or
voltage, but take on a very different guise when applied to AC. They do
not apply the Root Mean Square applicatin which is the difference
between AC and DC, and they do not account for phase angle compensation
which can greatly affect instantaneous power, voltage or current.

>                         - - - - - - -
>
>         Now -- as to how to have a 12 volt Tesla coil:
>
>         =Almost any= Tesla coil that has ever been constructed
>         can be run on 12 volts.   The =only= requirement is a step-
>         up transformer (or a step-down transformer wired backward
>         -- at an appreciable loss of efficiency).  Such a transformer
>         would raise the 12 volts to the 120 (or 240) volts required
>         for the coil.
>
>         Given the super-abundance of control, signalling, and
>         computer applications, used and surplus transformers of this
>         ilk are almost in a glut.  New ones are easily purchased
>         any day of the week from most any electrical supplies
>         dealer catering to the professional trade.
>
>         Yet another work-around is to use an ac arc welder and run
>         it backwards, with the 12-volts going in the welder secondary
>         and the required 120/240 volts coming out its primary.  This
>         would take some fiddling with the taps on the welder and would
>         be inefficient.

All of this is true, providing the 12V in question is AC or pulsating DC
and at a LARGE current capacity.
>                                Best wished to everyone there in
>                                Bazillia,
>
>                                Robert Michaels - Detroit, USA
>                                                  (America)

Also best wishes, and hoping not to offend :)

--

   Rick Holland

   The answer is 42.