[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary coil form questions (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:22:58 -0800
From: lod-at-pacbell-dot-net
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Secondary coil form questions (fwd)

Richard Hull wrote:

[snip]
> With Ed's system there are two primaries which share a common tank circuit.
> assuming the primarys are wound in the same relative direction, the
> secondaries would have to be wound oppositely to get maximum leap between
> the pair!  (phasing).  The bottom line is one of the major coil windings,
> primary or secondary ought to be reversed to get true half wave action.
>
> I think I'm right on this one.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

If you built a half-wave system where all of the primary and secondary
coils had right-handed windings, you can achieve the proper phasing by
simply swapping the leads to one of the primary windings.  PSPICE bears
this out, as well.

I'll bet that Ed just wanted those beautifully crafted primary transmission
lines to layout properly!  Ed's half-wave rig is one of my TC favorites;
the two coils in the video almost seem to act as if they are sparring!

I would like to build a half-wave unit as my next TC project, and have been
doing some design effort lately towards that end.  It appears that there are
some fundamental limitations in the physical scaling of the secondary; most
notably that if the secondary coilform is longer than about 75 feet then the
maximum gap rate (for acceptable duty cycles) becomes too slow to properly
maintain ionization of the streamers.  Also the site power seems to increase
almost quadratically with the scaling factor, where at the 75 foot limit the
power consumption is over 5 MW.  The project cost also rises quickly with size,
which perhaps is the most unfortunate effect of all.

For now, I will just have to wait for that winning lottery ticket.

-GL